Thursday, May 12, 2011

Updates.....and some!

Greetings....I know its been awhile since I've posted and we've got some things brewing up here.  Lots to catch up on.  First and foremost....

1. Vancouver/Erin Marathon-  what an awesome city!  That place has everything within a 10min drive.  mtns, ocean, snow, city life, culture.  It honestly feels like Madison, WI on steroids.  It has that artsy feel to it.  Oh wait, did I fail to mention it would probably be best to move there with a job!!!  Yeah, it's super expensive, but definitely a fun place to visit.

Erin did awesome with her first marathon.  Unlike me, she was super chill and relaxed in the days leading up to it.  "Jacob, let's go walk here and grab a beer and pizza" say's Erin.  Jacob thinks "Erin, you need to lay in bed, get your legs ready and eat pasta, oatmeal and banana's all day".  As you can see, Erin has a much more relaxed mentality for pre-race activities.... a good thing and a much needed balance in Jacob's life!!  Anyway, race day came along and Erin ran a 4hr40min marathon.  She was hoping for 4hr30min, but she was super happy with her finish.  I'm proud of her and being exposed to the whole running culture was quite different than cycling dorks like myself.  Post race activities included beer, nachos, more beer, pizza and some solid people watching downtown.  It was great!  The following day, we rented a car and headed up famous Hwy 99 (Sea to Sky Hwy) to Whistler.  It was a great day and great trip.

Erin getting her game face on for the race!

Yep, they have big trees there too!

 

2.  Cycling/Jacob/Racing-  it was great to have 4 days off the bike while in Vancouver; however it may have served a bad purpose for the old glute/back injury.  I got back to Philly Tuesday night, got a good night sleep, and headed out to ride Wednesday in preparation for last Sunday's Jeff Cup race.  Well....my glutie wasn't having it and sent some serious pain down that left leg again.  Nightmares of last fall's injury jumped in my head.  Long story short.... I had a pretty serious flair of that injury and had to miss Sunday's big Jeff Cup race.  A race that suites my strengths.  So not cool; however my teammate Rick Norton took 2nd place and we we're happy with that.  For now, I'm working as hard as possible to get this flair up back in order to race for the MABRA (Mid Atlantic Bicycle Racing Association) state crit championship this Sunday.  It's an important race as we need to defend our 1st place victory from last year...securing the jersey is very important (teammate Evan Fader won it last year).  Did I mention, it was at this race last year that I had my initial glutie injury?!?!?  Yep, I've got some demons to take care of at this race.  It's been rather frustrating as I'm in good form right now and simply want to race....badly!!

3.  Job related life:  so my big professional career at the YMCA and Best Buy have taken a bit of a turn.  Best Buy gave me an ultimatum and said I either need to work more hours (I was putting in a whole 5-10hr a week) or kindly turn in my Best Buy name tag and walk away.  Sadly, I walked away.  I'm only joking but not really.  They did ask me to work more hours or not at all and with my schedule, I had to give it up.  So, I'm still the employee of the month at the YMCA and continue to shine there!!!  No bridges burned with Best Buy as they said I could come back anytime I want.

So long my little name tag!!  Its been real!!


4.  I need a serious haircut soon!  This is getting ridiculous.

That's it for now.  Focus is getting my injury taken care of in hopes to be back to racing soon.           

No comments:

Post a Comment